Sunday 23 February 2014

Tart crust

A late post about what I contributed to Thanksgiving dinner back in November.
Looks lovely (if a bit rustic) doesn't it? It was a zesty Lemon Tart that I only attempted as it is one of the very few sweet things that I like.


I was particularly pleased with myself for attempting to make the crust from scratch. The tricky thing about this type of pastry dough is that it is very dry; requiring little moisture. For me that was difficult to work with but it paid off in that it had the right sort of heaviness, very substantial. I followed the recipe in The Bistro Cookbook which calls for just 1 egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of very cold water by way of moisture. My hands and arms got quite the work out when kneading the dough but I always love to gaze upon a lovely round ball of dough so had to snap a picture. It was a perfect deep yellow coloured orb. 
The filling includes heavy cream and fresh lemons which I also zested with gusto; having the effect of bringing bursts of delicious tartness to the finished dessert. 


The Bread Loaver

No comments:

Post a Comment